module, we present and summarise evidence on the epidemiology,
assessment and management of suicides in custody.
In the countries it has been investigated,
suicide rates in prisoners are substantially higher than the
general population. With the numbers of prisoners increasing in
over 70% of countries worldwide, suicide in prisoners remains an
important challenge to clinicians, mental health services, public
health and policy.
This module explores:
- historical trends and current rates of suicide and self-harm in
- comparisons with rates of suicide in the general
- motivations and precipitating factors for suicides and
attempted suicides in prison
- demographic, criminological, clinical and environmental risk
and protective factors
- key strategies to prevent and manage self-inflicted deaths in
jail and prison.